If tiling your bathroom with porcelain stoneware has long been the only option to avoid the inconveniences associated with humidity, it is now possible to opt for a whole range of different coverings! Indeed, to offer a wider choice to individuals, manufacturers have understood the interest of offering other types of floors compatible with water features. Let’s take a look at the different types of bathroom flooring, as well as their pros and cons.
The ceramic tile
Tile remains the most suitable floor covering for the bathroom. Economical, it is waterproof, easy to maintain, durable and aesthetic since it comes in a wide range of colors, shades, patterns and reliefs. It can imitate other more fragile or more expensive materials such as wood, marble or stone.
Benefits of tiling
- The choices and ranges are so vast that you can create the floor of your choice and imitate other materials that are too expensive or too fragile.
- The tiles can be cleaned very simply with water and a mop.
- It is resistant to water and humidity.
- Its price is attractive (10 to 80 euros per square meter).
- It is strong and durable.
Disadvantages of tiling
- The tiles are cold, which can be annoying.
- Tile tiles can be slippery when in contact with moisture.
Vinyl is becoming more and more common in bathrooms. Easy to install since it can be cut and glued without difficulty, it is ideal for covering small rooms effortlessly. It is very water resistant, which is a big plus point in children’s bathrooms, and it comes in a wide range of colours.
Advantages of Vinyl
- The vinyl can be installed very easily, without specific equipment and without calling in a professional.
- Its wide range can correspond to all desires.
- Its price is interesting compared to its quality (from 2 euros per square meter).
Disadvantages of vinyl
- It must be well placed in a piece of water, because the slightest gap between two blades can be a source of infiltration.
- The low-end models mark themselves quickly.
Classy, chic and terribly elegant, natural stone is the height of good taste! It is very suitable for a bathroom, but its high price is often a barrier. However, the stone is beautiful, noble and water resistant. Marble, granite, limestone… you are spoiled for choice!
Benefits of natural stone
- The stone is very elegant and aesthetic. It brings real added value to the piece.
- It is durable, strong and moisture resistant.
- The choices of colors, reliefs and textures are wide.
Disadvantages of natural stone
- The stone can be slippery, but this can be remedied by treating it.
- Its price is high (30 to more than 200 euros per square meter).
- Maintenance is not always easy depending on the type of stone chosen.
- Limestone and other porous stones should be treated with a water repellent twice a year to withstand humidity.
The laminate floor
Laminate flooring is a good way to bring the natural warmth of wood into your bathroom, but without the constraints! This type of coating consists of a base of wood chips covered with a paper impregnated with resin. The wood is therefore only imitated, since it is an impression of wood species, but the result is successful.
Advantages of laminate flooring
- This type of coating is resistant and very durable.
- It is suitable for the bathroom, provided you make very tight joints so as not to let water soak in.
- It is easy to maintain and aesthetic.
- It is economical (from 3 euros per square meter).
Disadvantages of laminate flooring
- Although it can be installed in a bathroom, it is not completely waterproof. So avoid it in a child’s bathroom which is likely to be often full of water.
Matt or waxed concrete
Concrete, whether matte or waxed, is gaining more and more followers. It is particularly appreciated for its industrial aesthetic, which is very fashionable. This decorative asset is available in a wide range of colors and shades to satisfy all tastes. He can even imitate stone.
Advantages of concrete
- It is a solid, durable, resistant and hygienic coating.
- It is easy to maintain.
- Thanks to the absence of joints, it remains clean and offers a nice flat surface.
- The effects and colors are multiple.
Disadvantages of concrete
- Its cost remains high (from 55 euros per square meter).
- It can only be installed by a professional, which entails an additional cost.
- It requires regular water repellent treatment.
Solid wood has until now been avoided in wet rooms, because wood and humidity do not mix. It is now possible to opt for wood for its bathroom covering, provided you opt for an exotic rot-proof species, such as teak, or retified (drying thermal process). The installation is generally done on a boat deck, with thick sealant joints.
Advantages of solid wood
- Wood is a noble material, very aesthetic and naturally warm.
- It is insulating.
Disadvantages of solid wood
- For a resistant wood, you have to pay the price (20 to 150 euros per square meter).
- The wood remains fragile and must be well laid to avoid infiltration.
- Its maintenance is often tricky.
You can absolutely put a coating in coconut fiber, sisal, seagrass or jute in your bathroom. These natural and original floors are very trendy, cocooning and warm. On the other hand, only seagrass is rot-proof; it is therefore the fiber to be preferred, especially if the piece is used daily and/or by children. Easy to install, seagrass has the advantage of appreciating humidity, which allows it to retain its suppleness and elasticity.
Benefits of plant fibers
- Seagrass is waterproof and thrives in contact with moisture.
- It is a natural and ecological coating.
- Its low price is a big plus (5 to 10 euros per square meter)!
Disadvantages of plant fibers
- There is only one color.
- It is not easy to maintain.
- Contact with bare feet can be unpleasant for sensitive little toes.
Yes, the carpet can be installed in a water feature. For some, it is even essential! Be careful, however, because a bathroom coating can only be rot-proof. Opt for a carpet of this type, otherwise you will regret it very quickly. The fibers of rot-proof carpets are designed to dry very quickly and not to store water. In addition, they have a latex underlay that prevents infiltration. However, it is recommended to ventilate your room well. So avoid rot-proof carpeting in a blind bathroom.
Benefits of carpet
- The carpet is comfortable and pleasant to the touch.
- It is easy to put on and take off.
- The range of colors and patterns is wide.
Disadvantages of carpet
- The rot-proof carpet costs more than a standard model (10 to 30 euros per square meter).
- Its maintenance is not easy.
- It can only be placed in a room with a window and well ventilated.