Nowadays, the bathroom is no longer just a practical room for hygiene; it has become a relaxing and pleasant place to take care of yourself. Renovating your bathroom to make it a functional and cozy room is quite possible and at all prices!
To better support you in your project, we help you define the budget that will be necessary to carry out your work and we give you some tips and tricks to save money!
Renovating your bathroom: what budget? what can cause prices to vary?
It is difficult to precisely quantify the budget necessary for the renovation of a bathroom. It all depends on its size, your desires, its condition, the extent of the work needed, what you plan to change or replace, etc.
However, here are indications of the average ranges that will allow you to better prepare your project. In general, taking into account the size factor, the average prices fall within the following range:
- For a small bathroom whose surface is between 3 and 5 m², it is advisable to plan a budget oscillating between 2,500 and 6,000 euros.
- For an average bathroom whose surface is between 6 and 9 m², it is advisable to plan a budget varying between 5,000 and 10,000 euros.
- For a large bathroom whose surface is more than 10 m², it is better to consider a budget ranging from 7,000 to 16,000 euros.
These prices are given as an indication for the classic renovation of a bathroom and its equipment with standard mid-range quality furniture, supplies and labor included.
To speak on the surface, it is estimated that a bathroom renovation costs on average between 500 and 1,200 euros per square meter.
What can make the prices of a bathroom renovation vary?
The renovation of a room like the bathroom is difficult to estimate because of all that it can cause. Indeed, even if it is one of the smallest rooms in a home, it is no less important in terms of investment.
Several criteria can directly influence the cost of your renovation:
- The surface of the bathroom
- The scope of the renovation: partial or total?
- The installation of plumbing equipment and the water network
- Replacement of floor and wall covering
- Replacement and/or reuse of furniture
- The choice of a shower and/or a bathtub and the desired model
- The rates charged by the various craftsmen who work on the site
- The region where you live (an additional cost of 20 to 30% is observed in the Paris region and in large cities)
These criteria can double or even triple your projected budget. Such a project is being prepared; it is advisable to take the time to think carefully about your future layout, to contact several professionals, to compare their quotes and to make reasonable choices according to your budget and your needs.
The average prices charged by professionals
- The average rates charged by an electrician vary between 35 and 45 euros including tax per hour.
- The average rates charged by a plumber vary between 40 and 120 euros including tax per hour.
- The average rates charged by a tiler are between 25 and 50 euros including tax per hour.
Estimate the cost of a bathroom renovation by item
Regardless of the surface of your bathroom, the budget to devote to its renovation also depends on what you want to install there and the work to be carried out.
Sanitary equipment and plumbing
- For the removal of your old sanitary equipment (shower, bath, bidet, sink, toilet, etc.), you will need to plan between 70 and 200 euros per piece. The price varies according to the part to be removed and the complexity of the site.
- For the installation of a classic shower with connection, allow 500 to 1,000 euros.
- The installation of a classic bathtub with connection will cost you between 400 and 2,000 euros.
- For the installation of a walk-in shower with connection, your budget will be between 2,500 and 5,000 euros.
- For the installation of a washbasin or a basin with connection, allow 500 to 1,500 euros.
- For the replacement and/or displacement of the water points, count 80 to 150 euros.
- For the installation of classic toilets, plan 200 to 500 euros.
- For the installation of suspended toilets, your budget will vary between 400 and 800 euros.
lighting and electricity
- Installing new lighting will cost you between 70 and 120 euros.
- For the installation of a new electrical outlet with grounding, allow 80 to 200 euros.
- The installation of a towel radiator costs between 350 and 1,000 euros.
Floor and wall coverings
- Removing your old tiles will cost you between 20 and 40 euros per square meter.
- To have new tiling laid, count between 20 and 150 euros per square meter, depending on the model of tiling chosen (sandstone, cement, metro, natural stone, imitation wood, mosaic, etc.).
- To have special bathroom parquet installed, plan on average 90 euros per square meter.
- For the installation of lino, count 10 to 30 euros per square meter.
- To install wall tiles, the cost varies between 40 and 90 euros per square meter.
- If you only want to repaint the wall tiles, plan around 10 euros per square meter. Request a painter’s quote.
The bathroom furniture
- A classic piece of furniture for a washbasin or single washbasin costs between 150 and 500 euros on average.
- A classic piece of furniture for a washbasin or double washbasin costs between 500 and 700 euros on average.
- The price of a storage column varies between 50 and 300 euros approximately.
Bathroom adaptations for seniors
If you wish to equip your bathroom with equipment intended for seniors, it is possible to take advantage of a 25% tax credit. Please note, however, that this reduction is only possible if the work is carried out by a professional. It is thus possible to have sanitary, safety and accessibility equipment installed at a lower cost for greater comfort.
How to save on the cost of renovating your bathroom?
Renovating a small room like the bathroom can get horribly expensive very quickly! Fortunately, there are simple tips for saving money.
- Keep the water points where they are: if you change your shower, your bathtub, your sink and/or your toilets, place the new models in the same place as the old ones. You will avoid the costs of filling in old pipes and drilling new ones, which will save you considerable money!
- Choose mid-range models, they are perfect for redoing your bathroom with taste and quality, at a lower cost!
- If you feel able, remove your old sanitary equipment yourself. Provided you know how to do it!
- Think of all the stages of the construction site in the forecast of your budget, from the removal of the old one to the finishing touches at the end of the work. You will avoid unpleasant surprises and you will be able to better adjust your expenses according to your means.
- Plan for long-term renovation. To make real savings over time, prefer to invest in quality, durable and solid materials and equipment. Likewise, avoid equipment and decorations that are too eccentric; you may tire of them much faster and a new replacement will cost you dearly. Neutral and natural shades are recommended.
- Do not hesitate to reuse your old furniture. A lick of paint can completely change outdated furniture and give it a second life while saving you money!
Tips and tricks for making the right choices
Because we are committed to helping you carry out your project, we give you some advice and tips to make the right choices.
- A faucet at the top! Don’t try to save money on faucets. With a low-end model, you have a good chance of encountering sealing and clogging problems very quickly.
- Prefer a space with neutral and natural colors, welcoming and cozy. You are unlikely to get tired of it! Add a few decorative notes to it according to your current style, which you can change according to your desires.
- The bathroom must be functional! Forget double sinks if it means stepping over your partner when brushing their teeth or climbing into the tub to hopefully join your side. Design the space with its surface, to have everything within easy reach as well as enough space to move around.
- Depending on your age, think about the future. As you age, you will need to adapt your bathroom to your more limited movements. If you do not plan to renovate the room by then, already consider some suitable investments.