If you are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and have good experience in different areas such as earthworks, plumbing and others, you can decide to build your pool yourself. But this arduous task is not recommended for everyone because if you can derive real advantages from it, the self-construction of your pool has serious disadvantages. Let’s take stock and see what are the best tips to follow if you want to embark on this adventure on your own.
Self-construction of swimming pool: what you need to know before starting
Do not throw yourself into the water who wants because at the end of the construction site (if we reach the end) the disillusions can be many. Here are some useful tips to consider before starting the construction of your pool without calling a professional.
- Start by performing the administrative procedures which are essential when you want to build your swimming pool. We go to the town hall of his commune to find out the obligations to which he must submit, depending on the case, such as for example the filing of a request for a building permit or a request for prior authorization for work.
- Investigate seriously about building techniques in order to have assimilated them well when the time comes.
- Establish a location plan so that the pool is perfectly oriented and the project is coherent.
- Demonstrate flawless organization.
- Establish a schedule and stick to it, which means being very rigorous.
- Seriously manage deliveries.
- Have enough free time so that the site does not drag on too long all the same in order to be able to swim on sunny days. Asking leave is strongly recommended because it allows you to respect the schedule that you have set.
- Be able to use all material necessary but also to drive or handle the engins earthworks which are essential.
- Arrange well in advance for the contribution of friends, neighbors or members of the family sufficiently invested in the project to bring their precious help if necessary.
The main advice to take into account is to only embark on the self-construction of your swimming pool if you are really capable of it. It is therefore not enough to be brave or to have enough free time. The whole project can be seriously compromised if you know absolutely nothing about it, start blindly, and make a fatal mistake.
Building your own swimming pool: the advantages
If many owners are tempted by the construction of their swimming pool in autonomy it is because it has serious advantages, namely:
- The budget to devote to the project is much lower than if we called on a swimming pool specialist since we save on the cost of labor but also on the charges invoiced by the craftsman (which is completely normal). For example, for a swimming pool project whose final cost is between 20,000 and 25,000 €, you can save a more than tidy sum of around 12,000 €, and sometimes even the price of a professional. is divided by three. This leaves plenty of time to nicely arrange the surroundings of its aquatic area in order to create a dream environment. This advantage is judged by far The most important by individuals.
- Being able to create a swimming pool absolutely unique, perfectly meeting the tastes of the family and their needs. Being totally free to choose is a factor that galvanizes and it is one of the main reasons which encourage individuals to opt for the self-construction of their swimming pool.
- The schedule is set according to everyone’s schedule. We can therefore carry out our project at his own pace.
- Once the work is completed, we have necessarily acquired a good experience and we then have a perfect knowledge of the entire installationwhich makes it possible to intervene without hesitation in the event of a hazard such as a leak or a malfunction in equipment, and this without having to call in a pro… another saving made.
Finally, when the pool is built and the final result is up to expectations, the pride felt is immense. We can congratulate ourselves on having carried out this extraordinary adventure without ever losing our initial enthusiasm. It’s a tour de force that deserves to be crowned…
Building your pool without the help of a pro: the disadvantages
We cannot ignore that the self-construction of its swimming pool has some disadvantages, such as:
- L’absence the warrantyso that in the event of a problem, you risk losing a lot of money because the expense to be incurred to repair can be significant.
- The risk of defects are frequent, such as collapse, cracks, poorly laid tiling, poor watertightness of the pool… There is indeed a huge margin of error since the knowledge in masonry and earthworks or even in plumbing and electricity is very limited or that one has never practiced in these different fields.
- The efforts to be made To carry out this colossal work, you need to be in good health because you have to be able to invest yourself fully. It is better to present a fairly substantial fatigue tolerance threshold, otherwise discouragement is possible… and abandonment of the site too.
So be careful if you have never seen a hammer up close! In this case, the project can only be carried out smoothly if it is entrusted to a swimming pool construction specialist. First of all, he has all the necessary equipment and machinery and he is able to adapt the project to any type of constraint. Moreover, if we believe the individuals who have chosen to build their own swimming pool, it is not advisable to embark on this type of work without a minimum of capacity, knowledge and practice. But if you have the profile then it’s worth giving it a try…
Finally, today we find pools in kita lot easier to assemble yourself, and which come in various materials, sizes and shapes. Their purchase price is relatively affordable. They are therefore suitable for tight budgets and Sunday do-it-yourselfers full of good will.
Photo credit: Jeremy Miles