Do you want to build your new house and are you hesitating between buying land in a subdivision and isolated land outside a subdivision? It must be said that each has advantages and disadvantages. Making your choice is not so simple, but the main thing is to take your life project into account above all. A brief overview of the two models to help you choose better.
What are the characteristics of land in subdivision and land outside subdivision?
The plot of land
A subdivision is a division of building plots, as stipulated in article L442.1 of the Town Planning Code. A subdivision is managed by a developer who must obtain a development permit with prior administrative checks and who must offer plots ready to build, serviced and demarcated.
Land in subdivision is subject to certain development and neighborhood constraints, but the owners of plots avoid a good number of administrative procedures by buying land ready to build.
Land outside subdivision or isolated
Conversely, land outside a subdivision is not governed by the same constraints. If we talk about isolated land, it is not necessarily isolated, but it does not meet the obligations or the definition of subdivision. These non-subdivision lands are most often sold by individuals; while some are serviced, the majority are not. Before committing, it is imperative to request a planning certificate from the planning department of the municipality in order to be certain that the plot is truly constructible.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a subdivision?
The advantages of subdivision land
- Land purchased as a subdivision is land ready to be built on. No need to waste time on administrative procedures.
- The land is bounded, so its exact boundaries and area are known.
- It is serviced, which allows you to save precious time. It is therefore connected to the water, electricity, gas, telephone and generally (but not always) sanitation networks.
- The nature of the soil and subsoil is known and conforms to the construction of a house. You therefore know in advance the cost to be expected for the foundations without the risk of unpleasant surprises.
- Collective facilities are planned and include roads, green spaces, and sometimes even swimming pools or collective spaces.
- The project is generally designed with the town hall of the municipality and fits into the landscape and the environment.
- The accesses to the plots are fitted out and clean.
The disadvantages of subdivision land
- Very precise specifications must be respected for the construction, since it is a kind of joint ownership. However, it should be noted that within certain subdivisions, the specifications are particularly restrictive and may impose a builder, fittings, shapes and colors of houses and fences, etc.
- A regulation is usually drawn up for the subdivision. It may be that charges are at your expense for the management and maintenance of collective equipment.
The advantages and disadvantages of land outside a subdivision or isolated
The advantages of land outside a subdivision or isolated
- The surface area of land outside subdivisions is generally larger than in subdivisions.
- Construction constraints are less important than in subdivisions, since only those of the planning rules of the territory count. These can be consulted in the PLU (local urban plan).
- The choice of manufacturer is always free.
The disadvantages of land outside a subdivision or isolated
- No one will ensure the feasibility of your project for you. You will have to take the necessary steps yourself, in particular requesting a town planning certificate from the town hall.
- The connections are to be undertaken by you and remain entirely at your expense. You will therefore have to carry out all the procedures for connecting to the water, electricity, gas, telephone and sanitation networks.
- Individual sanitation is often required in the context of very isolated land not located near public networks.
- You will have to carry out the study of the soil yourself in order to verify its nature and adapt the foundations accordingly.