Owning an in-ground concrete swimming pool is the dream many owners. It’s the type of ideal pool to embellish a land, the value, and allow the whole family to enjoy the pleasures of swimming at will. Let’s put the spotlight on the concrete swimming pool, its many advantages, its few disadvantages, the budget to plan for its construction, and also see whether or not it is in your interest to build it yourself.
Traditional concrete pool: its many advantages
At time fine-tune your in-ground pool project, you obviously have to know what type of pool you want to have, either in shell or in concrete. The concrete pool is the one that wins the most votes. Concrete is a popular material and there is nothing surprising in this because the assets of one concrete pool are really numerous, as the following points show.
- Resistant to bad weather and the wear and tear of time, the concrete pool is therefore durable for many years.
- Perfectly waterproof.
- Available in different versions, namely:
- poured concrete or plugged concrete,
- in concrete blocks,
- in modular reinforced concrete panels, this is called the concrete kit swimming pool.
- Tailor-made swimming pool since it is customizable without any limit. For example, you can opt for:
- a small or on the contrary huge swimming pool, a swimming lane, an infinity pool…
- a classic or more original or even totally unique shape, the choice being endless,
- his favorite pool coating such as mosaic, liner, waxed concrete, ceramic tiles, glass enamel, etc.,
- the color of his choice.
- Adapts to any type of terrain, whether flat or very steep, the concrete pool can even be built in a mountainous area, but this may require digging into the rock, requiring a preliminary soil study.
- Adds a capital gain to a property, which is a significant asset in the event of resale of your house since you can achieve a return on investment in this way.
It goes without saying that for the concrete pool to have all these qualities, it must be built according to the rules of the artthat is to say by a professional expert in bathing pools.
Inground concrete pool: its disadvantages
Before deciding on the construction of a concrete swimming pool, you should know that it has, despite all its advantages, some disadvantages, namely:
- A relatively long construction period given the scale of the work. Depending on the configuration of the land, the complexity of the project, the weather conditions, the work can last between 5 and 12 weeks knowing that just for the drying of the concrete, you have to wait a month at least.
- The price of the pool, which is relatively high even for a small pool compared to an above-ground pool, and which increases considerably depending on its surface, its shape, the terrain, the type of concrete, the services chosen…
Of course, you also have to take into account the yearly maintenance cost, which is absolutely essential to prolong the longevity of your bathing area.
Hard pool (concrete): construction price
Considering building a concrete swimming pool is a nice project, but its magnitude should not be overlooked. It is therefore well in advance that we must seriously consider this idea, if only to budget your purchase. Here are some useful tips for making a first overall cost estimate of the operation that you wish to entrust to a professional.
We first choose the construction technique, namely:
- Shotcrete swimming pool: from 25,000 to 55,000 €. This is how the one-piece reinforced concrete shell is made. Concrete can be sprayed:
- either by the technique of gunitage also called dry process. It is simply moistened at the time of its projection.
- or wet. In this case, it is prepared before being delivered by truck and then projected immediately.
- Poured concrete swimming pool or connected concrete: from 20,000 to 50,000 €. A formwork is first made and then the concrete is poured inside. The professional can use the method of permanent formwork (or lost) which therefore remains in place, or to that of the recoverable formwork which represents a temporary structure that can be reused on other sites (the latter is therefore more economical).
- Swimming pool in concrete blocks: between 18,000 and 30,000 €. It is the cheapest model. The walls of the pool are erected in the same way as a concrete block wall, but they incorporate a reinforced belting as well as stiffening posts in order to guarantee perfect resistance to the thrust of the water.
- Swimming pool in reinforced concrete modular panelsthis is called the kit concrete pool: between 15,000 and 33,000 €. The panels are delivered ready to be installed. This is a technique that saves considerable time.
Ces price ranges observed at national level concern concrete swimming pools falling into the category of 35 to 70 m3. If you want a very large swimming pool, with a unique shape, and depending on its coating, the necessary budget can be much higher. Similarly, it takes a substantial sum to build a swimming pool on extremely sloping ground because it may require digging into the rock and erecting a retaining wall after having carried out the essential soil study… All of this costs very expensive, in the order of several tens of thousands of euros.
To these prices are of course added the earthmoving costbut also all additional expenses for filtration and heating devices, copings, the beach or the terrace, the technical room, the swimming pool safety system and the decoration of its aquatic area… The global cost can only be obtained on estimate since it is calculated case by case.
Building your own swimming pool: is it really valid?
If this is the wish of the owner of the land, he has every interest in opting for the concrete kit swimming pool because the work requires less time than in the other cases, and the construction of the swimming pool is a little less complex.
However, building your own pool can only be considered by extremely knowledgeable people, experiencedwhich have a perfect knowledge in the field of construction and what is more, know how to use the different tools and machines specific to this type of work. It is not given to everyone to build their swimming pool, and to risk it when one knows nothing about it, it is doom one’s project to failure. For example, a retaining wall that has not been built according to the rules of the art has every chance of collapsing, a non-compliant concrete basin can crack… The slightest error of assessment and the whole structure will be destroyed. is put in danger. In short, it is better to rely on artisans.
Call on a professional and entrust him with all construction work for a concrete swimming poolis to be wise. We thus benefit from a perfectly realized concrete swimming pool but also from the ten-year guarantee. To bring competition into play, it is possible to use a online comparator. A few clicks are enough to receive several quotes. The process is free and without any commitment.