The roof represents a substantial budget in the maintenance of a dwelling. However, nothing should be left to chance, because it covers your home and the slightest fault can have disastrous consequences. It is therefore important to call on a professional and invest in the necessary equipment depending on the condition of your roof. Here are our tips to help you properly budget your roof renovation project.
What are the benefits of renovating your roof?
A roof naturally deteriorates over time due to bad weather and variations in temperature and climate. You may not see it, but cracks are forming and mold is taking hold. Wind and rainwater infiltration compromise the watertightness of your roof and can affect your entire home.
Checking the good condition of your roof and renovating it when the time comes are essential steps in the life of your home. It is advisable to carry out a good inspection of your cover on average every 10 years. In addition, you can annually make sure of its good condition after the rainy and frost season. Take the opportunity to check that the tiles or slates are in place. Cracked parts should be replaced. Remove dead leaves and mosses; this simple gesture will save you expensive work to eliminate them when you are invaded. Also make sure that no infiltration is possible by controlling the breaks of the tiles and by checking the ceilings of your house.
When you notice a sign of poor condition of your roof and deformation of the tiles, proceed to a renovation without delay, at the risk of impacting the health of your home.
What criteria influence the cost of a roof renovation?
Estimating the budget necessary for the renovation of a roof is difficult, because many criteria come into play.
The condition of the current roof
The renovation of your roof depends on its condition. If it is only dirty, a thorough cleaning and the application of a suitable treatment will be sufficient. On the other hand, some roofs are in such poor condition that they have to be completely replaced, while others require the replacement of a few parts.
The type of roof
In general, a pitched roof is more complex and therefore more expensive to repair than a flat roof. In addition, it all depends on what covers your roof. Traditional tiles, wooden tiles, slates, sheets, etc. Each material has its specificities and especially its price! Some covers are inexpensive to buy, but they cannot be replaced individually, like tiles or slates, which ultimately turns out to be uneconomical in the event of partial renovation.
The roof area to be covered
Of course, the price applies according to the surface of your roof, calculated in square meters (m²). The larger it is, the higher the quote will be.
The rates charged by the professional roofer for labor
To the price of the roofing material, you will have to add that of the craftsman, also calculated per square meter in the majority of cases. However, these prices can vary considerably from one professional to another and especially from one region to another. Large cities and urbanized regions are generally more expensive than rural areas. However, it is not always wise to bring in a roofer from another region for a question of labor cost, because you will have to plan for travel expenses and an additional cost will have to be considered in the event of delay or complication.
How much should you budget for renovating your roof?
It is difficult to define a precise budget for each roof renovation project, given the criteria mentioned above. However, it is possible to indicate average price ranges in order to help you better assess the budget that you will need to carry out this type of work.
How to estimate the cost of a renovation?
Although the total budget is directly dependent on the factors listed, it is possible to roughly estimate a price range given the type of renovation planned and the surface of your roof.
- For a light renovation of your roof, allow 30 to 70 euros per square meter on average. This situation applies to roofs in good general condition requiring only cleaning and the replacement of a few tiles.
- For an average renovation of your roof, count 70 to 100 euros per square meter approximately. This case corresponds to roofs in poor condition requiring the replacement of part of the roofing.
- For a complete renovation of your roof, allow 100 to 150 euros per square meter. This time it is a complete renovation of a roof in a state of disrepair.
The average budget that you will need to plan for will therefore depend on the surface of your roof. As an indication, a 100 m² roof will cost you between 3,000 and 7,000 euros for light renovation, 7,000 to 10,000 euros for medium renovation and 10,000 to 15,000 euros for complete renovation.
Whatever the case, always seek several qualified and competent professionals and have at least three quotes made. These must detail the nature and cost of the service, labor and materials. Compare, negotiate and opt for the quote with the best quality/price ratio!
What is the cost of a new cover?
Depending on the state of construction, you may only need to replace all or part of your cover. Here is an estimate of the average prices charged for each type.
- For the installation of EPDM on a flat roof, allow 30 to 80 euros per square meter.
- For the laying of bitumen on a flat roof, count 40 to 60 euros per square meter.
- For the installation of a green roof on a flat roof, consider 40 to 80 euros per square meter.
- For the installation of PVC on a flat roof, allow 50 to 60 euros per square meter.
- For laying concrete tiles on a sloping roof, count 20 to 40 euros per square meter.
- For the installation of bituminous shingles on inclined roof, plan 30 to 40 euros per square meter.
- For the laying of terracotta tiles on a pitched roof, consider 30 to 60 euros per square meter.
- For laying artificial slates on a pitched roof, budget 60-80 euros per square meter.
- For laying zinc on a sloping roof, plan around 70 euros per square meter.
- For laying thatch on a sloping roof, expect 70 to 90 euros per square meter.
- For the installation of natural slates on inclined roof, plan 100 to 120 euros per square meter.
When you have your roof renovated, you can take the opportunity to improve the insulation of your home at roof level, repair cracks, damage and signs of wear and/or have one or more roof windows installed. Indeed, by combining all your work, you certainly increase the renovation budget, but you save labour, time and materials. Think about it!
How much to plan to completely renovate your roof?
Complete renovation is sometimes necessary when the current roof is in ruins or considerably dilapidated. Coverage is not the only one affected in this case; it is necessary to review the entire structure of the sub-roof, which represents a substantial budget.
- To replace the base layer of a flat roof, plan around 6 euros per square meter.
- The replacement of an impermeable layer costs almost 5 euros per square meter, compared to 6 euros for bituminized glass.
- Replacing the vapor barrier will cost you between 10 and 20 euros per square meter.
- The renovation of an under-roof costs between 10 and 20 euros per square meter, only for the materials.
- Renovating the construction of a pitched roof costs an average of 1,700 euros per square meter.
- Plan around 2,000 euros for the renovation of the attic.
- The renovation of purlins and rafters will cost you around 1,800 euros per square meter.
- To replace the sand pit, count 600 euros per running meter on average.
- Replacing your tiles costs around 3 euros per square meter, compared to 50 to 90 euros for replacing slates.
How to save money on roof renovation?
Renovating a roof is expensive, but fortunately it is possible to save some money.
- Perform a few tasks yourself, such as removing tiles for replacement. This work is not very restrictive and will save you a few euros in labor. However, be vigilant and operate safely.
- Set aside undamaged tiles for reuse. Some professionals quote for the whole surface, but you have the right to keep the reusable parts in order to save some money.
- For a quick and inexpensive renovation, there is the over-roof. This is placed on your old roof for an average price of 50 to 60 euros per square meter. Admittedly, the result is not the same in terms of finishes, but you save money.
- If the renovation of your roof includes energy work, you may be eligible for state aid. Find out more, you will save some money along the way!