To prevent any floating particles from clouding the clarity of the pool water, a flocculant can be used. Let’s see together what this chemical process consists of, which is only used when absolutely necessary, and which is called flocculation. Spotlight on the different flocculants, their compatibility and how to use them.
Swimming pool: what is flocculation?
This chemical process complements the action of the filter of the swimming pool. The flocculant acts in the same way as an agglomerate on the level of minute particles that cannot be seen with the naked eye and which are filtered with difficulty, if at all, which clouds the water in the pond. In contact with the flocculant, these very fine particles (or microparticles) agglomerate into flakes. A little bulkier in this form, they are then more easily retained by the filtration system put in place. We find a water of great clarity, crystalline: the one that all swimmers are looking for.
When should flocculation be used?
A flocculant can be used in the following cases.
- When the immediate environment of the swimming pool contains numerous mineral or vegetable elements (sand, plants, lawn, etc.) whose particles contaminate the pool water by settling there.
- When the filtration system was not well chosen and that it is too limited for the swimming pool.
- After shock treatment bromine or chlorine due to algae growth. The flocculant helps the filter to remove all the particles which allows users to find clear water.
- If the filter is no longer sufficient to absorb the microparticles which suddenly accumulate in the pool and cloud the bathing water. This is the kind of situation we face during the holidays when the number of users is more consequent than in normal times. The water is logically soiled by pollution, dirt, but also by bacteria.
Swimming pool flocculation: conditions to be respected
We do not practice flocculation in any conditions since this chemical process requires a particular environment to be effective and the type of flocculant used must imperatively be compatible with the filtration system of the swimming pool. Before embarking on flocculation, it is therefore necessary that all conditions following are met.
- The Hydrogen potential (pH) must be at least 7,2 and at most 7,4.
- Clean the pool to release beforehand all the particles which could agglutinate at the level of the water line but also on the bottom and the walls of the swimming pool. They must be in suspension in the water in order to be able to agglomerate under the action of the flocculant.
- Leave the product the time to actusually many hours. The manufacturer’s instructions should be strictly observed.
- At the end of the action period, the filtered must be cleaned up thoroughly.
The different types of flocculants
A flocculant is sold in several forms: liquid, pellets, sock or cartridge.
He is only reserved swimming pools equipped with a sand filter. Of indisputable effectiveness, it is fast acting. Generally, liquid flocculant is used after shock treatment of the pool or in which the algae have proliferated. This can be following wintering for example, or a heavy storm. It’s necessary prohibit the use of the swimming pool during the two days following the use of a liquid flocculant. It is a particularly irritating product for the mucous membranes, the skin and the eyes.
We start by cleaning the filter which we then set to the “circulation” position so that it does not filter the water but that it continues to be in motion. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions to scrupulously respect the dosages recommended according to the number of cubic meters of water in the pool. The dose of liquid flocculant is mixed with water in a watering can fitted with an apple, for example, then the liquid is poured into the swimming pool, distributing it well. The ideal is to walk around the pool during the operation.
Activate the filtration by the pump for 2 to 4 hours then stop it. It is then necessary to allow the flocculant a sufficient action time of the order of 24 hours. At the end of this waiting period, a good cleaning manual is essential at the level of the bottom, the water line and the walls, and only then, one passes the robot of swimming pool then one starts again the system of filtration.
Flocculant in tablets
This form of flocculant is compatible with a number of swimming pool filtration devices such as pocket filters, cartridge filters or even sand filters.
As with other types of flocculants, the filter must be cleaned first and then disposed of a single pellet in each skimmer. The filtration system must run for several hours, which is usually indicated on the packaging by the supplier. Before using the pool again, the filter must be rinsed.
Flocculant in sock or cartridge
Il only suitable for sand filters. Monthly use is enough when you have a filtration system that is well suited to the volume of the pool. If this is not the case, if the filter is insufficiently powerful for example, it is recommended to use a flocculant in a sock every 7 or 8 days.
The operating procedure is simple. We start by cleaning the filter then we place the sock (cartridge) either in the buffer tank of the swimming pool, or in the skimmer. The filtration system must run for 48 hours for the flocculation to be effective. At the end of this period, a new cleaning of the filter is essential.
This type of flocculant perfectly complements the action of treatment products. It spreads very slowly, so it does not provide an immediate result.
For preventive or curative purposes, it can be used when the filter is no longer sufficient to maintain the clarity of the water. It is recommended to regularly clean the filtration system when using a cartridge flocculant (sock). The pool can be used during the flocculation phase, but many people prefer to be patient and only resume swimming afterwards.
Almost all professionals recommend using a flocculant only when absolutely necessary. It is therefore a product that is used on an ad hoc basis. If in doubt, do not hesitate to contact your swimming pools. This specialist will know if it is necessary to carry out a flocculation or not and if this proves to be essential, he will be able to advise his client which product is best suited to his swimming pool, as well as the dosages to be respected and the procedure for use to be followed. .