While it is always possible to cut down a tree, the destruction of its stump represents an insoluble problem for many of us. The task is indeed difficult, at least for certain trees with long and large roots and whose stump displays a large diameter. You can imagine the weight it can represent once out of the ground, which requires the use of large machinery! In any case, there are effective solutions to overcome them and chemical free. Let’s take a look at these different stump removal techniques.
Destroy a tree stump mechanically: athletic method
Here is a technique that has the merit of not polluting the environment. But it requires perseverance, endurance, time and adequate equipment. This must be chosen wisely taking into account the size of the stump to emerge from the ground. You may therefore need some of the following tools and/or gear:
- A pickaxe,
- A chainsaw,
- A saw,
- An axe,
- A crowbar for a small diameter stump,
- a big stone,
- A manual hoist for a medium-sized stump that requires the use of chains,
- A trimmer,
- An excavator or mechanical shovel for a stump of very large diameter, but this implies having enough space because the machine is imposing.
Not everyone owns a grinder or an excavator or even a hoist. It is therefore necessary to rent this type of machine, a more economical solution than buying, unless you want to completely deforest a piece of land and therefore tackle dozens of stumps… It takes between 150 and 350 € per day for rent a stump removal machine.
If you want to use the hard way to destroy a tree stump, you must proceed as follows:
- Use a pickaxe to dig out the earth around the stump until the roots of the tree are sufficiently exposed to be able to intervene without being embarrassed.
- As soon as the roots are clear, cut them using the material best suited to their size.
- Finally, extract the stump from the ground either by sliding the crowbar underneath and using the stone for leverage, or by hooking the chain of the hoist at the birth of the roots then gently maneuvering the winch so that it does not unhook . The excavator is essential for the largest stumps.
Be careful, if you have no experience in this area, it is absolutely recommended to entrust the stump removal to a professional. This type of work is risky. Of course you have to know how to handle machinery and imperatively respect the security rules to reduce any risk of accident or injury.
Destroy a tree stump without large machinery or chemicals
Some stump removal techniques are much less spectacular than the previous one and are essential for people who do not wish to take risks by handling construction machinery. No need to buy chemicals in a garden center because there are gentle methods that respect the environment.
If you do not suffer from tendonitis, you can proceed to pounding of the stump with a chopped until its destruction. This is certainly not the most zen solution to use but you can always try, if possible by taking turns with a few friends.
Otherwise, you can opt for the stump decomposition from a tree obtained in a natural way. For example, it suffices to:
- Drill holes 25 cm deep every 10 cm over the entire surface of the stump. To do this, a drill is essential.
- Place several cloves of garlic in each hole.
- Fill the holes with clay or clay soil.
This very old technique works well. The decomposition of the stump is accelerated thanks to the properties of garlic provided that it is not a baobab or other very large specimen…
Note that you can leave the holes empty and wait for the rainwater to infiltrate. Over time, the stump will eventually rot. It will then be very easy to get it out of the ground.
Finally, those less in a hurry can simply cover the stump with a tarp perfectly opaque. Thus deprived of light, it will die after long months following its slow rotting, attacked by water, fungi, worms and other organisms. This technique works surely but slowly. A good semester is needed to destroy a stump of reasonable diameter and a few years for a huge stump.