The best way to eliminate a wasp nest is to use an aerosol and to follow a specific procedure. But be careful, better entrust the destruction of a wasp nest to a professional because doing it yourself can be dangerous if you have no experience in this area. In addition, the risks are extreme in people with allergies because in the event of bites, the worker risks the mort. But we also expose ourselves to fatal falls if it is necessary to climb a ladder to reach the nest because these insects attack their assailant in a few seconds.
In what season should a wasp nest be removed?
It makes sense not to wait until the nest is too crowded to intervene. That’s why it’s better to destroy it in spring because at this time of the year, it is at most occupied by the queen and a few dozen workers. The best time is At nightfall or at dawneven in the middle of the night, because the insects are less aggressive and less active than in broad daylight. Acting at night, however, represents a difficulty for the responder because it is not necessary to use a torch diffusing a bright light which risks triggering a counter-attack by the wasps. On the other hand, we can illuminate the premises with a amber light.
In summer and autumn, it is better not to touch it because the swarm of wasps is even more aggressive at this time of the year, and this is understandable since they are responsible for protecting the future queens born recently. Wasps are therefore particularly active and virulent. It is to be hoped that the first frosts will not take long to appear. Indeed, with the exception of future queens, all wasps die in winter.
How to get rid of a wasp nest
If it is recommended to contact a professional exterminator, it is because getting rid of a wasp nest yourself requires knowing the way of life of these insects and taking all the necessary precautions. Individuals do not necessarily know them if they are not in the business. It should therefore be noted that to attack a wasp’s nest, it is essential to take precautions following.
- Make sure you are not allergic to wasp venom.
- Properly locate the nest and do not intervene if it is difficult to access (too high for example).
- Protect children ensuring that they remain perfectly sheltered during the procedure but also for at least 24 hours after the intervention because the products used are extremely toxic. Pets should also be kept away.
- Put on a highly protective outfit to avoid being stung because a wasp nest sometimes houses several hundred or even several thousand individuals. This outfit must be made up of a specific full suit or, failing that, all of the following elements:
- a pair of stockings plus thick jeans,
- big socks,
- a pair of rubber boots,
- a long-sleeved t-shirt or undershirt with a funnel neck,
- thick gloves in which we insert the bottom of the sleeves,
- a layer of cotton wool on the face which is then covered with a hood,
- a hooded jacket, taking care to pull it up over your head and tie the cords properly,
- a scarf or neckerchief,
- safety glasses.
- Preparing for withdrawal. It consists of remove any obstacle around before spraying the wasp nest with insecticide. It is very important to plan everything in advance because the wasps will immediately come out of their nest and attack. It is therefore necessary to be able take refuge immediately. Better not to take the risk of being embarrassed. The path between the nest and the shelter must be very short and perfectly clear.
No skin space should be uncovered. This paraphernalia is therefore not excessive. It limits the risk of wasps infiltrating clothing, knowing that despite everything, some will still manage to sting through fabrics. In addition, it makes it possible to avoid inhaling the very toxic insecticide product.
After a few hours, when there is no longer any insect activity around the nest, all dead poisonous wasps should be shoveled up, placed in a plastic bag and discarded. Once empty the nest can be unhooked and thrown away.
Getting rid of a wasp nest: what you should never do
Beware of bad advice who have a hard life and who expose people to a grave danger. If you want to get rid of a wasp nest yourself rather than hiring an experienced pest control companyit shall really not :
- burn it,
- Hit the nest with a shovel or baseball bat.
In the first two cases, there is a risk of causing serious damage to one’s home or the immediate environment, even to one’s family, to one’s neighbours… In the third case, one can quite simply to be attacked by the wasps because the nest will perhaps be a little demolished, but its occupants always ready to attack and particularly irritated by the circumstances.
Getting rid of a wasp nest: why do you need to call in a professional?
If we insist on the fact that private individuals must absolutely call on a wasp nest specialist it is because he has received adequate training allowing him to be efficient and to know how not to expose himself. The technician is fully protected thanks to two specific pieces of equipment, namely:
- The RPE which is a Respiratory Protective Equipment,
- PPE or Personal Protective Equipment.
He alone is able:
- To intervene wherever the wasp nest is located, including in an attic or other cramped place,
- To detect the slightest sign of a severe allergic response and sudden and which is called the anaphylactic shock from wasp stings.
It has professional pest control products which are only available to businesses and which individuals cannot obtain. These products are of extreme efficiency car overpoweredand have nothing in common with the insecticides that can be purchased in stores intended for the general public.
How to avoid wasp nests?
It is essential to prevent wasps from building a nest in the garden or in the house (attic in particular) at all costs. To do this, it is recommended:
- To seal all cracks, even micro-cracks,
- To install quality mosquito nets which considerably limit the irruption of wasps in the dwelling,
- To install wasp traps in different places in the garden, near the terrace, the swimming pool, the children’s playground, etc.
It is equally important to ask protective grids on the ventilation pipes which are not equipped with them without however blocking them of course. What must be avoided is the intrusion of wasps which do not have long to build their nest. Finally, if you want to create an orchard, it is wise to set it up at a safe distance house because ripe fruit attracts wasps.