When you have the right tools and carefully follow the different steps to follow, wallpapering becomes easy. Here are the different steps to follow to help you.
Preparing the wall
First, prepare your wall well to ensure good adhesion of the glue. Your wall must be clean, dry and flat. If necessary, fill the small holes and remove the bases of the sockets and switches. Also check the absorption rate of the wall and if it is not absorbent, you can apply a base coat of acrylic paint.
Cutting and gluing
Next, prepare your length. The length is the piece of cut-out wallpaper that you stick on your wall. Place your roll on the wallpapering table and mark the places to cut, leaving 5 or 6 cm more than your initial length. Using a cutter and an edge-to-edge ruler, cut out your wallpaper.
Then, on the back apply the glue. Take care to scrupulously follow the instructions on the pot to make your glue and respect the distemper time. With a glue brush, spread your glue, from the middle outwards. If you use non-woven wallpaper, the glue is applied directly to the wall.
Laying the wallpaper
The installation of the first strip is very important, because it is what will determine the rest: a slight problem of verticality of the first strip will lead to a deformation of all the strips thereafter. To remedy this, make a slight trace on the wall at the edge of the window or door, to lay your strip straight using a square or a plumb line. Lay your wallpaper from top to bottom, leaving 2.5 cm overhang, following the line you drew before.
Use an upholstery brush or a spatula to smooth your length. Smoothing is chasing air bubbles between the wallpaper and the wall, and to do this, go from the middle outwards. Gently wipe off any excess glue that may protrude with a damp sponge.
Lay the next strip following the edge of the previous one so as not to overlap them and pass a wheel of wallpapering paper over the seams to smooth them out.
If you have large elements like a fireplace on the wall, start laying your strip from the center towards these elements and be careful not to rely too much on the verticality of the angles and the doors or windows.
For patterned wallpapers, think of the connections by making them coincide well and if you cannot avoid a shift, make sure that it is in a corner which is not too visible like behind a door.
Most of the work is done, but to have an impeccable result, here are a few more steps to follow.
Using a cutter, carefully and delicately cut the ends that protrude at the top and bottom.
When you reach the level of the sockets or switches, make an incision and remove the excess and by putting the bases back, the finish will be perfect.
With these different well-detailed steps and the little tips given in the finish, you will install your wallpapers like a professional.
How much does it cost to have wallpaper installed by a professional?
Entrusting the installation of your wallpaper to a professional is the guarantee of a job well done without wasting time! However, this service has a cost which is likely to evolve according to the type of wallpaper chosen, the surface to be covered and the prices charged by the professional craftsman.
The cost of wallpaper
If paper has regained a place in our interiors, its use is very different from before. A few years ago, it adorned all the walls of a room to bring a little color and a small frieze could add a slightly offbeat note. From now on, wallpaper is meant to be trendy and exclusively decorative.
It generally covers a section of the wall or a portion of the wall to bring a very skilfully thought-out note of style. A decorative piece in its own right, it is also more expensive than before. Indeed, a roll of wallpaper can cost you between 2 euros and more than 100 euros! An extremely wide range of prices, knowing that one roll allows you to cover a little more than 2 m² of surface.
The difference in price is explained by the model of wallpaper chosen.
- For traditional wallpaper, count between 2 and 15 euros per roll. Often not very decorative, it is relatively fragile and unsuitable for damp rooms.
- For natural fiber wallpaper, count 5 to 50 euros per roll. Made from Japanese straw or bamboo, it brings a pleasant natural note, but it requires specific maintenance.
- For vinyl wallpaper, count 6 to 40 euros per roll. Its high quality is due to its layer of vinyl varnish which allows it to be suitable for damp rooms such as the bathroom.
- For non-woven wallpaper, count 6 to 60 euros per roll. Made up of fibers, its texture is thick and very resistant. Simple to install, it is ideal for embellishing damaged or uneven walls.
- For expanded wallpaper, count on average 20 euros per roll. This type of coating is ideal for hiding the defects of uneven walls.
- For velvet wallpaper, count 30 to 100 euros per roll. On the other hand, this particular type of coating requires maintenance and is not suitable for damp rooms.
The price of installing new or replacement wallpaper
The installation of the wallpaper is not the most difficult, but it requires time, patience and meticulousness for a perfect result. This is why it is advisable to call in a professional.
In terms of pricing, there are two types of service.
- For a new installation, count 15 to 25 euros per m², supply of wallpaper included. The installation in nine is done on a clean wall and ready to receive the wallpaper.
- For a complete service, allow between 25 and 50 euros per m². This price includes the supply, the removal of the old wallpaper, the cleaning of the wall and the installation of the new one.