Summer is coming, with its warm evenings with family or friends, barbecues, swimming in the pool or the sea, but also with its… mosquitoes! These little blood-sucking insects are indeed out at this time when we tend to discover ourselves and open our homes. However, nothing like their bites and their incessant buzzing to spoil the pleasure of summer evenings, not to mention that the mosquito is also a vector of disease! Here are our tips for keeping them away from your home effectively.
Tips and Tricks to Avoid Attracting Mosquitoes
Before the arrival of mosquitoes and during the summer season, it is possible to simply avoid attracting them to your home thanks to simple gestures.
- Regularly, that is to say several times a week in the ideal, empty all the cups of the flower pots to eliminate the water. Mosquitoes lay eggs in water and are therefore naturally attracted to all possible sources.
- In your garden and around the house, avoid any stagnant water. To do this, empty all the items that may contain it and leave the buckets and outdoor games turned over as much as possible to prevent water from stagnating there after a rain.
- To prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in water supplies and objects that you cannot empty, protect them with fabrics or, better, a mosquito net.
- If you have an ornamental pond, turn on the filter pump as much as possible to prevent the water from being too stagnant and plant fish there that will happily feed on the larvae before they hatch.
Tips and tricks to keep mosquitoes away from home
If mosquitoes are still surrounding your house or if they come in at night to bother you, there are simple solutions to keep them away.
mosquito repellent plants
To keep mosquitoes away from your property, do not hesitate to plant essences that repel them in your garden, and in particular around your terrace, your balcony, under or on your windows, or even in a bouquet in the house!
- Lemongrass : pleasant to grow, lemongrass diffuses a good lemony smell and repels mosquitoes. This essence is also available in the form of scented candles, cream and essential oil.
- geranium : This attractive flowering plant is an excellent natural mosquito repellent. It smells good and comes in a multitude of shapes and colours, so it is ideal for decorating your terrace and window sills while keeping unwanted people away.
- Lavender : this multipurpose plant is a good repellent. You can plant it in the garden, have a few small pots on your window sills and a few sprigs around the house. It is also possible to use it in the form of essential oil, it is very effective and pleasant to smell.
- The Basilic : the strong but pleasant smell of basil repels many insects, including mosquitoes. Arrange several pots on your window sills or on the terrace. You can also place a few branches in the house to ward off any intruders.
- Mint : very good mosquito repellent, mint is also a good way to relieve bites. Crush a few leaves and rub on pimples.
- the tomato : for lovers of this delicious summer fruit, know that the tomato repels mosquitoes. It is actually the leaves that are effective. Put a few on your garden table when you dine on the terrace and rub some on your clothes when you go out to protect yourself.
- Lemon and cloves : plant cloves in lemons and arrange them on your windowsills, your interior furniture and your bedside tables. The combination of the two smells repels mosquitoes in a natural way. On the other hand, they must be renewed regularly, because they are ineffective once dry.
- Essential oils : Citronella, lavender, geranium and eucalyptus essential oils repel mosquitoes. You can diffuse them in the house (away from young children and animals for whom they can be toxic), spray them diluted in water, put them on your clothes during your outings or on a fabric that you will place next to your bedside table.
- The mosquito net : to protect your child in his sleep, the mosquito net to install on the cradle or the bed is a good solution. Mosquitoes will not be able to reach it and you thus avoid any exposure to chemicals or toxic products for its fragile organism.
- The fan : the fan is also a good way to repel mosquitoes from your child’s room. Do not point it at him, but the air he brews keeps parasites away.