Particularly practical, rolled turf or turf veneer transforms the garden in just a few hours. It’s a sodding technique as old as the world that does not pose any particular problem but requires a bit of method. So let’s see when to lay patches of grass, what preparations are necessary, how to proceed to obtain an impeccable result. Let’s take this opportunity to find out how much the turf roll costs, which can also be laid by a professional.
Why lay roll turf?
Football pitches are not the only places where rolling turf can find its place. Many private individuals opt for this solution in order tolandscape their garden, and roll grass is also all the rage in many private condominium gardens. It must be recognized that its assets are numerous, namely:
- 100 % naturel,
- Ideal for partial or total renovation, or for creating a lawn,
- Resistant :
- to trampling,
- to drought,
- Without weeds,
- Perfect aesthetic appearance from day one,
- Comes in different varieties such as Mediterranean grass, English grass, golf course grass or even sports field grass,
- Immediate result (therefore much faster than with sowing).
Roll turf turns out very resistant from the moment of installation because it has grown in the open air for at least 12 to 18 months. During his precultureit received all the necessary care (watering, fertilization, mowing, etc.).
Admittedly, rolled grass is more expensive than sowing grass, but it saves time and a lot of effort. The only constraint to install it in the best conditions and to prepare the ground a few days before the delivery of the plates. Better to find good souls who can lend a hand because each roll of grass weighs a good twenty kilos and installation should be done as soon as possible. So don’t tackle this task alone so that the timing is respected.
When to lay roll turf?
You can lay turf in any season in a particularly mild climate. But professionals strongly recommend respecting the following conditions: it must not freeze and you must also avoid periods of heat wave or severe drought. the spring and the start of thefall are therefore the two best times of the year to lay rolling lawn.
Why plan the delivery of the lawn in rolls well in advance?
Ideally, the exposure period should be scheduled early enough because it is necessary to order lawn rolls to the producer well in advance. Anticipation is therefore absolutely essential to have a very fresh lawn on the day of delivery. Let’s not forget that this is a living plant and that there is therefore no question of letting it rot in a room.
Indeed, the supplier must carry out the ” displacement » you gazon harvested in the field just before shipping the rolls. These are packaged on pallets. The delivery person is responsible for picking up the pallets from the turf farm in order to deliver them to their destination, that is to say to the customer and more precisely to where the turf in rolls must be laid. This requires a flawless organization.
It is absolutely necessary to be present during the delivery because it is done at specific date and timeand of course the ground must be ready so that the installation can be carried out the same day (or in any case within the shortest possible time, namely less than 24 hours after delivery).
What are the essential preparations to properly lay turf?
The ground must be perfectly prepared so that the day of the delivery of the lawn to be rolled out, the installation can be carried out in stride. This preparation is of course anticipated, and consists of:
- Weed carefully,
- Plow to a depth of 20 cmeither with a tiller or a spade,
- Loosen the topsoil by loosening the clods then crumbling it,
- Refine the cleaning of the ground with a rake or a claw in order to remove the roots, the plant debris as well as all the stones,
- Carefully rake the surface of the ground intended to receive the lawn to be rolled out. The goal is to get a clean and perfectly flat surface so that the grass can root easily.
- Compact the soil using a lawn roller so that there are no more bumps or holes, and that at the time of installation, the workers do not have their feet sinking into the ground. It must therefore be sufficiently packed, which is why the lawn roller is essential.
If the soil is particularly poor, it may be useful to amend it with compost. But the question of prior fertilization soil divides the professionals. It is therefore with the supplier of turf rolls that it is necessary to inquire on this subject because only he knows which cultivation methods are adopted in his turf farm and is therefore able to advise his client.
What is the technique for laying rolled turf?
Upon delivery, the rolls must imperatively be stored in the open air and in the shade in order to wait there until their installation (a few hours, therefore). The beautiful, healthy lawn should not be exposed to direct sunlight.
Here’s how to lay a lawn roll.
- Unroll on a very straight side, starting at the bottom of the plot to be sodded so as not to have to trample the freshly laid lawn.
- Only unroll one roll at a time.
- The first strip must follow the border well.
- Cut the strip at the end of the line with a cutter or a very sharp knife to obtain a clean and precise cut, or roll out another roll to finish the line,
- Continue by ensuring:
- that the strips are slightly offset as it is necessary to do with parquet,
- until the bands are edge to edge. They should not overlap and there should be no space between two strips.
- Apply the strips well to the soil so that an intimate contact is created, which will promote rooting. Must therefore eliminate the slightest crease by hand.
- Use scraps in the corners. They can also be used to fill a hole here and there.
- Pass the lawn roller over the entire surface so that the rolled lawn strips are perfectly applied against the topsoil.
- End with a very generous watering (the equivalent of 5 to 6 liters of water per m²), in fine rain, until the ground is soaked. We do not deviate from this under any circumstances, even if the weather is rainy, because this watering session is fundamental to guarantee the good grass recovery in a roll.
You don’t have to worry if you see the fittings at first. They will disappear when the lawn has grown.
Have your lawn rolled up by a professional
Amateur gardeners or people who simply do not have free time are advised to entrust the laying of the rolled lawn to a landscaper. Ce experienced professional takes care of everything and uses its equipment such as the lawn roller. This exempts his client from buying or renting everything necessary to lay the veneer lawn.
In order to get an idea of the cost of laborall you have to do is use an online comparator to obtain several quotes from local landscapers in just a few clicks.
How much does rolled grass cost?
To know the exact price, it is necessary to contact a natural grass producer so that he establishes an exact figure.
For information, the roll turf price is decreasing depending on the area ordered. We can therefore retain the following price ranges including VAT:
- €3.60/m² maximum for an order of 300 m² or more,
- From €3.60 to €5.10/m² for an order of 50 to 299 m²,
- From 5.10 to 9.00 €/m² if the order is between 1 and 49 m².
It is of course necessary to count in addition the price of the delivery and, if one does not take care of it oneself, the cost of the installation by a professional landscaper.