Unpleasant odors in a home can affect the comfort of its occupants and guests. Many people use air freshener sprays that only mask them for a short time. But this solution is far from being the best because spraying polluting Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) represents a great danger for health and the environment. In addition, it is expensive and it eliminates nothing at all! Fortunately, there are effective solutions to put an end to bad odors inside the house without chemicals. Let’s do a check in.
Bad smells at home: scented products to avoid
Before knowing what to do to make the house smell good, you have to find out which products not to use because they are full ofallergensof chemical components such as benzene, formaldehyde, and give off carbon monoxide when it comes to burnt products. Their scents are only synthetic perfumes. You should therefore not use:
- Armenian paper,
- Spray called sanitizer based on essential oils,
- Automatic devices that spray an air freshener at regular intervals,
- incense sticks,
- Scented candles.
In bomb, aerosol, spray, to burn… they are to be banned. At best, they are nothing but fairytale powders because they only mask the bad smells that come back in the hours that follow, at worst they pollute the indoor air and cause allergies, headaches and respiratory problems.
Thorough cleaning with natural products
There is a good chance that the house will smell good if enough time is devoted to its maintenance. A carelessness is not only noticeable by the layer of dust that covers the furniture. In this regard, the dust – whose characteristic smell is not the most glamorous – withdraws at thevacuum. The rag and the feather duster only lift her up, but she falls illico soon.
Bad odors set in if you neglect cleaning and end up embed everywhere: in the rugs, carpets, curtains and blinds, in the fabric of the armchairs and sofa, the duvet, the pillows… If the tiles are never mopped, they too may not smell very good . And that’s not to mention the toilets, a place particularly prone to bad smells.
In terms of houseworkthe regularity is a principle that cannot be derogated from. It’s important to make your place of life more pleasant but also healthier. Cleaning your house is essential for eliminate the maximum of bacteria and D’allergens besides, like dust and dust mites. By frequently and rigorously cleaning your home, you kill two birds with one stone.
It goes without saying: we only use natural products such as sodium bicarbonate, black soap, household vinegar or white vinegar, lemon, real Marseille soap.
Ventilate all rooms daily
There is nothing worse for accumulating bad odors than a confined interior, rarely ventilated. It’s a problem found in many homes, especially when it is cold outside. Yet thedaily ventilation of the House even in winter does great service to the whole family. This eliminates at least some of the suspicious smells, refreshes the atmosphere, cleans up the place of life because suddenly we no longer breathe this stale air detrimental to health. And there is no exception to the rule when you have a cold.
Install a powerful VMC
If you still do not have Controlled Mechanical Ventilation (VMC), it is urgent to have one installed. This device is essential in all homes because it constantly renews the indoor air. It is among one of the best solutions for eliminating bad odors without chemicals. VMC is very effective, even in WCs, shower rooms, bathrooms and kitchens: these are damp rooms where foul odors are common. These can come up pipes (washbasins, sinks), the washing machine or the dishwasher.
Finally, the VMC prevents the humid air from these rooms, which is also loaded with unpleasant odors, from dispersing throughout the house.
Homemade natural solutions to eliminate bad odors
Here is another good solution that allows you to get rid of bad odors without polluting your inner world. You can for example:
- Cultivating flowering plants suitable for making pretty bouquets of cut flowers. Roses, Lilies, Lavender, and other marvels perfume the environment while bringing a note of delight to the place of life.
- Collect bark, flowers, leaves, buds, berries and fruits from the garden and fields and place them in a decorative cup to form what is called a pot pourri. All these elements from the plant world will immediately spread their delicious scents.
- Place everywhere in pretty cups a orange studded with cloves or any other citrus such as grapefruit, tangerine, lemon. This is called pomander or apple of amber. The fruits are replaced when they are completely dried out, ie after a fortnight.
- Recover the citrus peels after a meal and rather than throwing them away, just group them in cheesecloth and then let them dry in the bedroom, the WC, the entrance or in the living room.
- Perfume the kitchen by boiling water in which care has been taken to place different aromatic plants such as thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, lavender, mint…
- Use Eucalyptus stems freshly cut, place them in all the rooms then leave them to dry quietly. They smell good but in addition they purify the air environment because eucalyptus has antiseptic virtues. In addition, it helps to breathe when you have a stuffy nose because it has decongestant powers.
Finally, to make the house smell much better, we leave our dogs outside and we get our cats used to doing their business outside in order to permanently remove the litter because it has nothing to do inside the house. home.