Pour recover a lot of green waste, it is essential to use a shredder. This is the case for the branches representing a large volume and that in many communes it is forbidden to burn. To avoid having to go back and forth to the recycling centre, this device is ideal, especially since it reduces the volume of plant waste by 80 to 90%. With this device, finish the cluttered garden. It remains to choose the plant shredder adapted to its needs. Let’s take stock of its great usefulness, the different models and the main selection criteria.
Usefulness of the plant shredder
The plant shredder is the perfect companion for the gardener wishing to recycle their garden waste which is not easy to handle. This is the case with trimming and pruning residues, among others, which are extremely bulky and take up a considerable amount of space in the field. Thanks to the plant shredder, he easily finds the ideal solution to reduce the volume of waste such as tree branches and everyone now knows the usefulness of shredding their plants. We can, thanks to a grinder:
- Limit handling,
- Transform your garden waste into Fragmented Raméal Wood or BRF,
- Recycle shredded waste in the garden or in the compost,
- Have a high value mulch,
- Enrich the soil since the waste is transformed into green manure,
- Protect your plantations against drought and cold,
- Reduce the development of weeds,
- Limit the time for both watering and weeding,
- Reduce your water bill
- Do not use commercial synthetic fertilizers since the crushed waste provides the soil with natural nutrients,
- Protect your crops against pests and diseases,
- Use less treatment products, all categories combined.
The garden shredder should be part of the gardener’s panoply because a lot of garden waste cannot be reduced to shredded with pruning shears, shears or lawnmower, devices only suitable for small jobs.
Different models of garden shredders
Every gardener can now afford a tailor-made garden shredder, capable of meeting their needs in terms of branch management of all kinds and other bulky waste from the garden. There are some for small lots where the number of plantations, trees and shrubs is moderate, and for large lots with lots of trees where the different annual prunings generate large volumes of waste. Here are the different models of shredders and their main features.
The mechanical grinder
It’s a model that works… with elbow grease! Certainly, with a mechanical shredder the task is rather muscular, but at least by activating the crank by hand you garden ecologically and without noise. This shredder can accept plants up to 30 mm in diameter and provided that the resistance of the wood is relatively weak, as is the case for example with stubble, large plant stems or brushwood. Its price is between 100 and 300 €.
The thermal plant shredder
Animated by a petrol enginethis is the type of most powerful grinderperfectly designed for the maintenance of large grounds and theintensive use. Landscapers are among the professionals who use it after felling trees, pruning shrubs or trimming hedges because it is able to reduce branches of 10cm in diameter. It can be used even in bad weather. It is available as a 2-stroke engine and a 4-stroke engine. The power of a thermal grinder is between 3,300 and 6,800 W depending on the model.
It is a relatively heavy device which does not make it easy to handle for some gardeners. It requires regular maintenance since the filters have to be changed, the spark plugs cleaned or even replaced, the oil changed, and the various parts lubricated. It is also necessary to always provide a jerry can of gasoline so as not to be forced to interrupt its work in the event of a fuel shortage. As for its price, it is relatively high, being in the range of 800 to 3,000 €.
The electric vegetable shredder
Ideal for individuals who have to maintain a garden whose area is less than 500 m²it is a fairly light shredder therefore easy to handle rather suitable for a occasional use. He can cut branches from a diameter from 25 to 40 mm. In terms of power, it is available in different models from 1,800 to 3,000 W. It plugs into a (standard) electrical outlet so that it should not be used in rainy weather. As for the price of an electric garden shredder, it is between 200 and 1,000 €.
The different cutting systems
In addition to choosing between a mechanical, thermal or electrical device, you must also take into account the cutting system when choosing your shredder. There are three types.
The knife tray
Also called blade discit is perfect for a small 300 m² garden at most. He can only grind branches from a maximum diameter of 35 mm and is quite noisy. We appreciate the very fine shredded material that can be obtained with a knife holder tray, which can be used as mulch. Note however that it is necessary to push the branches manually during use, which promotes jams.
The rotor system
Not very noisy, it can crush branches of a 50mm diameter at most. It is suitable for a 500 m² garden at most and does not allow rapid work. The shredded material obtained with a rotor system is quite coarse, so that it takes some time to be composted. But it can make a very good mulch. Note that with a rotor shredder, in the event of a blockage, the direction of rotation can be reversed, which is very practical. However, taking care of insufficiently hard plants increases the risk of clogging.
The turbine system
The turbine mill is performant and suitable for the maintenance of a land of more than 5 ares. He can crush branches up to 50 mm in diameter. The turbine compresses plants and easily crushes hard or even very hard wood. The risk of jamming is low with a turbine model.
Main criteria for choosing a garden shredder
To choose a plant shredder, we therefore first study its mode of operation – mechanical, thermal or electrical – as well as its cutting system, namely blade holder, rotor or turbine. Some elements are particularly important to consider as for example:
- The presence of a circuit breaker, a safety device that stops the device in the event of a jam,
- The power of the garden shredder, knowing that it is strongly recommended to choose a model of at least 2,200 W,
- The collection box or collection bag to save time,
- The automatic drive system for branches and other plants, which avoids having to push them by hand,
- The removable hopper, that is to say the supply chute, which, once dismantled, reduces the size of the crusher, making it easier to store when you do not have much space,
- The wheels thanks to which the garden shredder is easier to move,
- The weight because if it is important, the device can be less manageable for some people,
- The pusher which greatly facilitates the insertion of the plants in the chute,
- The maintenance cost that must be taken into account if you opt for a thermal plant shredder because it is essential to have it drained regularly and the filters must be replaced as soon as necessary…
Finally, it is absolutely essential to take many precautions when using a garden shredder. You have to wear special glasses, gloves, but also equip yourself with noise-canceling headphones to protect yourself from the decibels, some models being noisy as we have seen previously. Of course, children are kept out of the work area. And finally, remember to always switch off the shredder before you start cleaning and servicing or repairing it.