Which gate to install when the access is narrow, curved or at an angle? When it is impossible to install a classic swing gate, the sectional sliding gate offers an interesting alternative. It adapts to complicated situations, provided that certain constraints are respected. As for the budget to be expected, it depends on the particularities of a sectional sliding gate… We take stock.
Why choose a sectional sliding gate?
The classic swing gate, by far the majority in our country, sometimes turns out to be unsuitable. If there is not enough space or the path forms an angle, it is impossible to fully open the two leaves. Under these conditions, how do you get a vehicle in? It is the sliding gate that is essential. When the property is limited by a curved windbreak wall or hedge, the ideal is to install a sectional sliding gate. Its great advantage is to be able to open laterally. Maximum opening even in a small space!
A bit like some garage doors, this type of sliding gate is broken down into several sections (at least two), which are panels connected to each other. Very flexible, the sectional gate opens following the curve, even a 90 degree angle. Thanks to the mobility of its panels, it adapts. Its movement is generally done thanks to a rail fixed to the ground, which follows the shape of the curve, and a system of wheels or rollers. There are also self-supporting gates without track.
I want to install a sectional sliding gate; what are the constraints?
In general, this is the type of gate that is installed when it is difficult to do otherwise. But since it also has an undeniable aesthetic interest, this may be enough to motivate your choice. Sliding gates are increasingly popular for this reason. And also for their functionality and the space saving they allow. Either way, the configuration of the property most often imposes its own constraints.
So if you turn to this portal because the installation of a classic portal is impossible, here are some points to know:
A sectional sliding gate is made to measure
For your sliding gate to adapt perfectly to the configuration of your property, it will have to be made to measure. You must call on a specialist, because this type of gate is not found in the usual DIY stores. The advantage is twofold: on the one hand, you benefit from quality, meticulous and tailor-made work; on the other hand you choose the material and the design you want. It is up to you to specify from the design stage the opening direction, left or right, or whether you wish to add a gate.
The solidity of the installation requires some work
The installation of a sectional sliding gate requires more or less significant work depending on whether you opt for a rail or a self-supporting system.
- The rail must be sealed to the ground on a solid concrete base, which must withstand the weight of the gate and the passage of vehicles. The length of the sill corresponds approximately to twice the desired passage width.
- For a portal freestandingprovide two concrete pads, on which the pillars are fixed and a rolling system on rollers.
The professional takes care not only of the design of the gate, but also of the work necessary for its installation. It also takes care to avoid deformations linked to the threshold effect, which occur especially when the gate is located on a slope. For this, your specialist must level the space between the two side pillars, which forms the threshold.
The gate must resist wind resistance
Open, closed or moving, the gate must withstand the wind. It must not derail or deform when the storm comes. Depending on the wind exposure of your property, you can choose the appropriate material with the professional and select an openwork or solid design. The openwork gate lets the wind pass through without deforming. When we know that a wind at 100 km/h exerts a pressure of 60 kg per square meter, the lateral pressure on all the panels is several hundred kilos, depending on the size of the gate.
An electric motor facilitates opening
Even if it is not mandatory, most users choose a motorization. Remote controlled, using a remote control, opening the gate is easier and more comfortable. The motor is more or less powerful, depending on the size and weight of the gate. In general, a 24 volt electrical outlet is sufficient for its operation. For safety, the electric control can be deactivated, for example in the event of a cut, so that you can operate your gate manually.
The cost is quite high
Installing a sectional gate costs more than installing a traditional swing gate. Especially since to avoid any problem of seizing or deformation, it is better to turn to good quality material. For you to be able to plan your budget, the prices are indicated to you a little further on…
Think about the interview
Rail sliding gates must be able to move smoothly and smoothly. This requires regularly cleaning the rail of all that accumulates there (leaves, stones, snow, mud, etc.). You will also have an interest in avoiding the nearby gravel, otherwise you will spend a lot of time pulling them out of the rail. As for the gate itself, some materials require more care than others.
The sectional sliding gate has a lot of advantages!
Let’s recap the main advantages of the sectional sliding gate:
- It offers a space savingopening by sliding along the wall without impinging on the entrance.
- Il s’adapte to all configurations, such as Barbapapa (short long square…)
- Properly installed, it is solid and resistant to wind and weather.
- Side design, you have a wide choice. Colour, shape, dimensions, material… you decide!
- It comes in different materials : wood, PVC, steel or aluminium. It is the last on the list (aluminum), which is both light, resistant, easy to maintain and customizable, and which is increasingly preferred by buyers.
- Several systems of guidance and possible openings: the classic rail or the self-supporting system.
Sectional sliding gate: what budget to plan?
On the price side, many parameters come into play, which prevents announcing a single price. In addition to the gate, plan the installation, more or less complex and technical depending on the configuration of the place and the desired gate model.
Count 3 500 euros on average, supply and installation, the range of prices ranging from 2,500 to 5,500 euros. This global price includes the design of the custom gate and its installation, including the preparation work (in particular the concrete sill).
Which material to choose?
The price can vary by a few hundred euros depending on the material of the gate. You will choose according to your aesthetic preferences, but also the specific qualities of each material. And perhaps depending on the price… The following prices include installation, for a “standard” installation: a 3-metre-long gate, with installation of a 6-metre stringer.
- PVC : between 2,900 and 4,000 € (the price of the gate excluding installation is between 900 and 2,000 €). PVC is appreciated for its ease of maintenance. No treatment, no repainting; washing once in a while is enough. Resistant, it fears neither corrosion nor bad weather. Provided, however, that you choose a good quality PVC! For a large gate, where it risks undergoing deformation, it is better to opt for a PVC with a metal core (steel, stainless steel or aluminium).
- Bois : between 2,800 and 4,400 € (the portal alone costs 800 to 2,500 €). The wood is strong but requires regular treatment. Nevertheless, it deteriorates faster than the others. But if you like its warm and authentic appearance, several wood species are available, European and exotic. The weight of the wood requires a more powerful motorization system. It is not suitable for large gates.
- Alu : between 2,800 and 5,400 € (excluding installation, an aluminum gate costs 1,300 to 3,500 euros). Resistant, light, durable, zero corrosion or maintenance, easy to motorize… all these qualities are all the more appreciated for a large-sized gate. Although it is at the high end, aluminum offers the best value for money. On the aesthetic side, the choice of colors is endless and – icing on the cake – you can easily customize it thanks to laser cutting. Its sober and modern style brings character to an entrance.
- Steel : between 2,800 and 4,400 € (excluding installation, count 800 to 2,500 €). Steel is chosen for its solid panels, for the security and intimacy it inspires. Its industrial style is increasingly appreciated. It is a solid material, but must be treated regularly (every 5 to 10 years) to prevent corrosion and preserve the paint finish. Steel is a fairly heavy material; its weight requires a powerful engine.
- wrought iron : between 2,800 and 5,800 € (the portal alone can cost 800 to 4,000 euros). We especially appreciate its aesthetics. Both classic and modern, wrought iron lends itself to all styles with the same grace. It must be painted and protected by an anti-rust treatment (to be renewed every 5 to 10 years). If you want a completely personalized gate, you can even call on an ironworker; he will create something tailor-made for you.
How much does the engine cost?
It depends on the motorization system and its power.
- The price of one rack-and-pinion motorization ranges from 700 to 2,500 euros, supply and installation included. This system is often favored because of its efficiency and reliability. The rack has the advantage of not depending on the configuration of the ground. The only maintenance requirement is regular lubrication of the rail, so that the toothed wheel runs smoothly on it.
- The wheel drive costs 600 to 3,000 euros all inclusive. It is a motorized wheel that guides the gate. Mounted at the outer end of the carpentry on a telescopic system, it easily accompanies the irregularities of the ground. It is a solid and economical guiding technique, which consumes less electricity than the rack and is perfectly suited to long and heavy gates.
Plan all the work!
The installation of the gate is not the only service to be provided. Some work may be added. Let’s take stock of all the services, necessary and complementary.
- You may need to prepare the access road, so that the entire entrance is perfectly functional. Plan for its eventual flattening and the laying of a coating. Asphalt, it costs between 25 and 60 € per m2, laid by a pro.
- To install a rail, it will be necessary to build a longrine in reinforced concrete. It is she who gives the rail the flat surface it needs and bears the weight of the gate. For a 6 m sill (average size), count 1,200 €. Note that a self-supporting gate does not require a rail or sill.
- A sliding gate requires the installation of two pillars. They can be metallic or masonry. Their realization costs from 200 to 500 €.
- For a sliding gate, plan to make a clearance whose length corresponds to the width between the pillars, to which we add 50 cm.
- Then comes the pose of the portal itself. The labor is between 300 and 500 €.
- If there is motorization, it is then a question of connecting it to the electrical connections of the domestic network. Sometimes this requires digging a few trenches. The complete installation of a motorization costs between 300 and 1500 €, depending on the power of the motor and the complexity of the installation.
- While you’re at it, you’re thinking about harmonizing the fencing with the portal? Why not, but you have to plan for the additional cost.