Laying a coating on its outdoor driveway allows you to finalize the layout of the garden and brings an extremely neat touch thanks to the wide range of possible materials. There is something for all budgets and all uses, whether you want a pedestrian walkway or a driveway, for flat or sloping ground and whether you want draining soil or not. Spotlight on the many outdoor floor coverings, for a driveway and a pedestrian walkway.
Materials suitable for an outdoor driveway
The wide choice of materials allowing create an outdoor walkway offers all possibilities. But when we plan toarrange your garden, we do not choose the material only because it is pretty. You should also think about the following points:
- The type of aisle:
- The configuration of the aisle that we covet:
- Sloping (including garage descent),
- The longevity of the material.
- If the material is non-slip or on the contrary slippery,
- If the material is draining or impermeable,
- The variety of colors,
- The style of the house and the landscaping/garden.
Many homeowners entrust the creation of their driveway to landscaping professionals. True creators, they transform the garden.
Materials for a driveway and garage descent
A driveway intended to allow the movement of a car or van must measure, in width, between 3 and 5 meters. She must also be stable and be able to support the weight of a vehicle in all weathers. The material must therefore be chosen taking these issues into account.
A prepared support covers the driveway and fine, flat stones of different shapes and colors are then placed on it to obtain a very aesthetic end result. However, the paving can be criticized for being slippery.
The gravelled emulsion
It is a combination of bitumen and gravel available in many colors to obtain a very decorative result. This solution is perfectly adapted to garage descents and sloping driveways. Waterproof, this material involves the installation of a rainwater drainage system.
The gravel stabilizer available in several grain sizes
It is a material made up of gravel of varying calibers and in different colors, placed on plates in cells. It allows you to create very aesthetic outdoor walkways. It is draining, so it promotes the rapid infiltration of rainwater into the soil. The gravel stabilizer is not suitable for steep driveways (or driveways). A slope of less than 15% is however compatible with this material.
It is a mixture of sand, gravel and bitumen which is applied hot or cold. It is available in beige, black and red and you can even create patterns. Very resistant, it can be easily cleaned with a water jet and allows you to obtain a smooth driveway, without rough edges. The coating prevents the regrowth of weeds. Some mixes are draining, others waterproof. These involve the installation of a specific system allowing the evacuation of rainwater in order to avoid puddles. In general, it is a slow material to stabilize since it takes between 9 months and 1 year, so ruts can appear as well as the mark of planters and flower pots. It displays a longevity of about fifteen years at most.
Deactivated concrete or decorative concrete
It is a concrete covered with a surface deactivator which, after drying, reveals the aggregates, but the gravel does not come off which is very appreciable because it does not infiltrate the dwelling. Non-slip, resistant, deactivated concrete is also decorative because it comes in different colors. It even allows the creation of shapes and designs. Easy to maintain, it prevents the invasion of weeds. However, it is necessary to install something to promote the flow of rainwater because it is impermeable.
It is quite possible to opt for two different materials while maintaining a beautiful harmony in terms of colors in order to differentiate the driveway from the garage entrance or the garage descent. It should be noted that the laying of a geotextile must be carried out first of all.
materials for a walkway
We can of course put a wider variety of materials on a pedestrian walkway since the use is not as restrictive as on a driveway taken by a car. In addition to the materials seen above, it is therefore also possible to use those presented below.
- Gravel, which is more recommended for driveways on flat or gently sloping ground.
- The pebbles, decorative, but not always very comfortable under the shoe and which can make walking difficult.
- Cobblestones, aesthetic, which are available in granite, sandstone, limestone… They can be laid on sand or sealed. In the first case, the driveway is then draining, in the second case, it is impermeable.
- Interlocking pavers: they are easy to lay simply on a bed of sand. They do not move over time and facilitate the flow of rainwater. A very aesthetic appearance can be obtained thanks to the variations of colors which can be associated for a more beautiful effect.
- Natural stone which is considered the must. It brings personality to the garden and great refinement. However, you have to be vigilant if you live in a region with very harsh winters, because some natural stones cannot withstand severe cold which can literally cause them to burst.
- Reconstituted stone offers the possibility of creating very beautiful pedestrian paths combining stones of different colors in harmony which, in addition to being aesthetic and durable over time, are very resistant to frost.
- Wood, a noble material that brings an authentic touch to the outdoor environment. It can therefore be installed to create a very pleasant pedestrian walkway. However, it can be slippery in rainy weather and requires regular treatment because it becomes covered with moss, especially on the most shady and damp parts. To maintain its original beauty, the wood must be cleaned with great regularity.
- Composite wood, aesthetic, without splinters, it requires very little maintenance. Made of wood and recycled polyethylene, it is perfectly resistant to UV and bad weather and has a long lifespan.
- Marble resin is only suitable for a pedestrian walkway because it is absolutely not driveable. It is a material that makes it possible to create very beautiful narrow paths and pretty paths that lead, for example, from the gate to the house.
Creating an alley in your garden is a very good idea, because in addition to facilitate circulation in the car, it keeps your feet clean when it rains or snows. When, in addition, the exterior walkway is of very good quality, well made and in perfect harmony with the house and the perimeter wall, this brings a real plus-value to the property.
Creating an outdoor driveway allows you to enjoy a environment very pleasantextremely cared for. It should be noted, however, that it is preferable to give preference to a draining drivewayespecially since some municipalities have been applying a tax for some time on non-permeable outdoor walkways.