If the pool enclosure remains the most popular safety device for the comfort it provides, the motorized version is an option that will be even more pleasant for you. It must be admitted that this type of opening allows a smooth and above all effortless adjustment. Let’s take stock of the characteristics of the motorized pool enclosure, its advantages and disadvantages, and study its installation price.
What is a motorized pool enclosure?
It is possible to motorize several types of swimming pool enclosures. Telescopic models, sliding models and semi-sliding models, both high and low, can be motorized. The motorization allows you to fully or partially open and close your shelter without manual intervention. A motor operates the pool enclosure for you, which brings you significant comfort in use.
A swimming pool enclosure can be purchased motorized or motorized later insofar as it is a compatible model, but later motorization will cost more than an already motorized enclosure.
There are different motorization devices. Anyway, you will have to invest in the purchase of a motor that corresponds to your model of shelter; in other words, the heavier your pool enclosure, the more powerful the motor will need to be. It is also preferable to opt for a low-noise motor, because some are very unpleasant for you and your neighbors to use. Finally, you can choose a motorization which has interesting features, such as reversibility in the event of a breakdown which provides for manual handling, or even solar power for the motor to reduce energy costs. Of course, these options come at a cost.
Motorized pool enclosures and the law
You can absolutely buy a motorized pool enclosure or have your pool enclosure motorized provided that it complies with the NF P 90-309 standard. Your swimming pool enclosure must imperatively withstand any attempt to open it by a child under 5 years of age and contain no element likely to injure him.
If your motorized pool enclosure is designed for a pool with a surface area of less than 10 m², you will not have to take any administrative steps. If the pool measures between 10 and 100 m² and the shelter does not exceed 180 cm in height, a prior declaration of work at the town hall will be sufficient. Finally, for any pool larger than 100 m² and for any shelter whose height is greater than 180 cm, you will need to obtain a building permit.
In addition, be aware that your motorized pool enclosure is subject to the town planning laws of your municipality. If it must not be located less than 3 meters from the limits of your plot, it must also not present any noise disturbance for your neighborhood or impact the view in a classified or protected area.
What are the benefits of a motorized pool enclosure?
The benefits of a motorized pool enclosure are numerous:
- Handling a pool enclosure is not always easy, especially when it is heavy or low. The motorization therefore provides real comfort in use. An advantage for everyone, but especially for people who are fragile or have back problems.
- The pool enclosure can be manipulated at will and according to needs. It is thus possible to protect yourself quickly in the event of bad weather, but also to protect the pool.
- This type of shelter can be operated by one person.
- Aerating your pool will no longer be a chore since the motorized pool enclosure can be opened or closed remotely, using the remote control.
- Safety is enhanced since children cannot access the pool without operating the pool enclosure using the remote control. Thus, no matter how much they try to force access, they will not be able to enter.
- It is quite possible to motorize a compatible pool enclosure model if it was purchased without motorization.
What are the disadvantages of a motorized pool enclosure?
Despite its advantages, the motorized pool enclosure can have certain disadvantages.
- The motorization is not compatible with all models and is limited to telescopic, sliding and semi-sliding shelters.
- It is essential to invest in a powerful motor, especially for heavy structures. However, a shelter often weighs very heavy and the adapted motors are expensive.
- It is necessary to regularly maintain the motorization of the swimming pool enclosure, which takes time and adds costs. It is also important to clean the rails regularly to prevent the guidance from being disturbed by residues of any kind.
How much does it cost to install a motorized pool enclosure?
Motorizing a swimming pool enclosure has a more or less significant cost depending on the model chosen. On average, it takes between 2,500 and 5,000 euros to motorize this type of structure. To this cost, you will have to add that of the pool enclosure itself, which can vary between 3,000 and 40,000 euros!
For the installation of your motorization, count on average between 200 and 1,000 euros, depending on the model of swimming pool enclosure chosen.